Howrse Crazy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
blueseanfoste
Starynight
littlegeorge.
bancam_20
Regan6
9 posters

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP

Regan6
    Regan6

Female
    Number of posts : 437
    Registration date : 2008-11-05

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP Empty Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP

Post by Regan6 Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 pm

First chose a base that you like.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE

Then, choose which color your horse is going to be. Mine is going to be Black. USe the Bucket fill tool, to fill the WHOLE body with color!
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2

Next, take the paintbrush tool, almost XLarge, and go over all the little white speckles. You might not be able to tell the difference now, but in the long run, it pays off!
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-1

Now, Use the dodge/ burn tool, set to dodge, and go over the spots that at light on a horse, like so:
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-2

Next, Take the Dodge tool, and make it EXTRA shiny, where it needs to be. Try not to go over the tops. Make it look as real as you can.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-3

(I have to Dogdge my whole thing to do the shadows...DO NOT DODGE WHOLE THING UNLESS MAKING BLACK!) Now, We are going to work on shadows! What I want you to do, is switch the 'Dodge' Tool to 'burn', and then go over all the stuff that should be darker, like this.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-4

OK, now it should have the basic contour of the horse....Get out your smudge tool, and set its 'rate' to around 25-35. smudge as Reilisticly as you can, blending the colours together. Dont worry if it looks blotchy, or unrealistic....we havent gotten there yet! lol
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-5

Now, Take your blur tool, set to 100, and blur it all together....this will cause a smoothing effect. there wont be much differents, but there will be some.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-6

Now, What color do you want your mane? I am doing black, to make an all black horse. Choose whichever color you want. Fill it in, with the bucket fill tool!
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-7

Next, you are going to take white, or a very light version of your mane color, and make little zigzags on the mane....not to big, not to small, like this:
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-8

Now do the same thing, only with a darker color, inbetween....
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-9

So, Now you need to get out that handy dandy 'smudge' tool.....set it large at first, and set its rate to 20, and go over the mane, in strokes.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-10

Now, make any Socks, Blazes, or other markings on the horse, using the white paintbrush...makeshure that you still have black around the edge though, or it will blend in with the white of the page.
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-11

Next, Make a small eye with the paintbrush tool... Make an iris, a pupil, and life lights to make it look more realistic. make anose like a six, and make a small mouth!
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-12

then Smudge the markings into the rest of the horse like so:
    Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-13

Then, put a color into the hooves, make a white streak in them, and smudge.....

FINISHED PRODUCT!

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP AkhalTekehorseGallopBASE2-14
    bancam_20
    bancam_20

Female
    Number of posts : 876
    Location : Sitting on my bed with my head on my knees crying.....
    Registration date : 2008-12-16

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP Empty Re: Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP

Post by bancam_20 Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 pm

This actually helped me more than I thought it would! Thanks Regan!!
    Anonymous

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP Empty Re: Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 pm

I tryed that and it did not work for me LOL
    Anonymous
    dragonfl

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP Empty OMG I LOVE YOU!

Post by dragonfl Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I just discovered this forum 2 hours ago and immediatly downloaded GIMP and this is my first attempt ever at making a howrse coat!!

How do you think I did (I borrowed the line art from a deviant art friend)

I need to work on refining the mane and tail but I am extremely happy with the body contouring!
    Thank you so much for this tutorial, I never relialized how simple it can
    be!

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP ATTEMPT1
    bancam_20
    bancam_20

Female

Post by bancam_20 Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Shocked
    bancam_20
    bancam_20

Female

Post by bancam_20 Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 pm

Could you make that into a base coat for me? Shocked That is incredible. cheers
    littlegeorge.
    littlegeorge.

Female
    Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2008-12-28

Post by littlegeorge. Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:26 pm

thanks so much for this tuto!

Step By Step Tutorial (with Pictures) on How Regan6 makes coats on GIMP Coatycoatycoaty
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female
    Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-12-19

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:50 pm

I am trying it now and the shine turned out pretty good but the tail is still pants lol
    I'm just doing mane now

19:51pm
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Mane ok

Ps : My new laptop lets my go on this website!
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:58 pm

OMG

I finally know why my last coat using Regan's tutorial turned out wrong!

Instead of changing 'rate' , i change Opacity instead .
    Silly me
    Mane turned out k

19:59
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Finished it

Check out my Howrse page to view it

Big thankz to Regan, you made me like a new way to make coats and i really like it lol.

My user on Howrse is Starynight.

Please view on my page

Bye! :floatinghearts:
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Regan your amazing!
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I used to much shine on my second ever attempt lol but i stil like it ! yay
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:35 pm

My second really looks like its got shine on it

Still not as good as yours, Shiny's and Robbins though
    Starynight
    Starynight

Female

Post by Starynight Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 pm

I keep posting lol

I love my mane on my new one!
    blueseanfoste
    blueseanfoste

Female
    Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2009-05-29

Post by blueseanfoste Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:19 am

I can't do mines right Sad Sad Crying or Very sad . Can you do it for me Regan6?
    blueseanfoste
    blueseanfoste

Female

Post by blueseanfoste Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:20 am

like fix it?
    Jumpy
    Jumpy

Female
    Number of posts : 1228
    Registration date : 2008-12-05

Post by Jumpy Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Regan isn't on this forum anymore.
    kat239
    kat239

Female
    Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by kat239 Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Pm her on Howrse
    blueseanfoste
    blueseanfoste

Female

Post by blueseanfoste Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:53 am

ok
    i lov joe jonas
    i lov joe jonas

Female
    Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-08-01

Post by i lov joe jonas Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Its a good way to do it, But if you want to see the lines better just change the opacity of the brush =D
    dogloverloops

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2009-09-11

Post by dogloverloops Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:02 pm

GOD BLESS YOU

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am