Howrse Crazy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha!

silverhuntress
    silverhuntress

Female
    Number of posts : 395
    Registration date : 2009-05-17

The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Empty The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha!

Post by silverhuntress Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

I looove making those eyes! Making them HUGE, and DARK, and GLOWING. They look good on the horse, and they're pretty easy to make.
    I use Corel, but you'll probably be able to use the technique on other programs.

I'll show you how I make eyes with a beautiful base from RobbinLara's forum Very Happy

First, pick your eye color. Dark horses (Blacks, seals, chestnuts...) look good with green or brown/gold eyes. My favorite eye color is green. luv it Lighter horses (grays, palominos, light bays...)look good with both light or dark eyes. Dark browns, blues, and grays work well. Of course, you could be more realistic, and stick with the natural colors. But cool colors make the horse look cooler. Cool

The general thing I do first, is outline the whole eye in a dark color. Usually black. But if for some reason the color scheme of the horse won't work with pure black, (EXAMPLE: A strawberry roan with pure black eye liner would be a bit clashy) I use a dark gray.

I use digital colored pencils on Corel. I'm not sure what other people would use with other programs. Basically, something that'll show through. In this case, I used "GRAINY COVER PENCIL 2"
    Then using another "cover pencil", I color in the iris with whatever color I want my horse to have. (For this coat, I use green) Always make the iris a shade or two DARKER than what you want the final eye to look like.
    The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Secretagent1
    Notice how dark and thick I made the black outline. That'll serve as the lashes and the shadows later.

Next, I take another "cover" pencil, and color in the pupil of the eye. (Pretty simple, just color it in.) For this base, Robbin already had it drawn out where the "white dot" would go. So I left that blank.
    Now, find that color you used to fill in the iris. (green for me.) Just go a few shades LIGHTER now. Then either put wide stripes, or spots of the lighter color in the iris. Look how you can see the first shade of green (the darker one) AND the lighter green on it. For this one I did lighter blobs in the eye. Be sure to stay inside the iris.
    The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Secretagent2

Now, it's time for the blending. Just to give the eye a softer look, take the smallest or second smallest detail blender you have. (On Corel, I used "DETAIL BLENDER 3") Just do some brief strokes over the iris, and trace over the black outline of the eye once. Try to keep it in control. Don't touch the pupil yet!
    The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Secretagent3

Now, I use a COVER pencil, to color in the white dot thing. (The reflection thing). If you're using a base where the reflection dot isn't already put in for you, be careful where you put it. There can be more than one too. A good place is somewhere along the border of where the iris and the pupil meet.
    I take my blender again, and this time do some down-strokes under and around the eye. I also softer up the pupil a little. Now it looks a bit smeary, like this:
    The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Secretagent4Notice how misty and dark the eye looks. I made the iris deeper, and it gives the whole eye a sullen look.

When coloring in the rest of your horse's face, you can go over and through the little smeary parts coming off the eyes which arn't really supposed to be in the final eye. Or, you can just erase it off. I've seen people blend the eye a bit more to make it neat, or make the dark outline thicker. Both look good king Do whatever works for you, and whatever fits the horse.

ADDING MORE...
    Sometimes, you might want add something different. I reccomend adding several different colors, and blending them together. Or, blend in a random stripe of gold or silver in the iris. Doing reflections of moons in the pupil also looks very cool.
    I know this is a tiny picture, but if you look VERY close, you can see that the bottom of the eye isn't as thickly outlined. The white reflection dot is very bright because I used a bleach instead of a colored pencil there. It makes the horse look more mysterious. There's also a REALLY thin strip of gold in the iris, I'm not sure if this will show it. This is from a coat I made a while back...
    The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Goldeyes-1

Any questions? Let me know. Hope this helps you guys get sullen black eyes like mine lol Rolling Eyes kindness greypinto
    kat239
    kat239

Female
    Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Empty Re: The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha!

Post by kat239 Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Cool!
    silverhuntress
    silverhuntress

Female

The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha! Empty Re: The big, dark gothic eyes mwahahaha!

Post by silverhuntress Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 am

Yo, check out Bob Very Happy
    kat239
    kat239

Female
    Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Post by kat239 Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:29 pm

I found him on gooogle.lol
    oblic
    oblic

Female
    Number of posts : 1500
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post by oblic Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:39 pm

hes very cool. XD

and thanks for the tutty - im sure i will use it!
    Horses28222
    Horses28222

Female
    Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2009-07-06

Post by Horses28222 Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Sliver could you please make a tutorial on how you make your coats I just love them:D
    silverhuntress
    silverhuntress

Female

Post by silverhuntress Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:56 pm

lol thanks. Will do Very Happy
    Horses28222
    Horses28222

Female
    Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2009-07-06

Post by Horses28222 Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 am

Yay! yay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content